Monday, November 9, 2009

Where I came from...

"Where I come from" was the topic for a friends' blog. I just had to write an entry on where I come from because, for those of you close to my age...you come from there too. So, enjoy the next few moments of "where I come from."

Where I came from the stars stayed hidden at night, but three brothers kept me distracted.
Where I came from there was a lot of wrestling for a spot on a couch so you didn't have to sit on the floor.
Where I came from the oldest got to ride shotgun and that was me. : )
Where I came from we made one box of mac n cheese n a can of veggies stretch into 4 bowls for lunch.
Where I came from we would sit at the end of the tarmac and watch the planes take off from outside the fence at the Denver airport.
Where I came from we played cops n robbers with an abandoned shopping cart, a bicycle and a jump rope.
Where I came from dumpster diving was an adventure with treasure to be found.
Where I came from we used old boxes for showing off our best break dancing moves while listening to the Thriller album.
Where I came from my brothers owned red and black vinyl pants and jackets with zippers everywhere.
Where I came from we weeded the garden in the back yard and played with the rolly pollies and lady bugs.
Where I came from we played GI Joe and Snake Eyes was a girl and The Enterprise carried Cobra Commander.
Where I came from Snake Eyes was also the nurse who "nursed" the Joes back to health when they were blown up.
Where I came from hand-me-downs were the only option...unless you were me. (I was the oldest AND the only girl.)
Where I came from we ate meat, taters and a veggie EVERY night.
Where I came from gravy was always on those taters and it was made from the meat drippins.
Where I came from we had a couch on the front porch that served as "base" for hide-n-seek.
Where I came from a dog was a Great Dane.
Where I came from neighborhood kids were scared of Great Danes.
Where I came from home was the town we lived in at the time.
Where I came from the girls cooked n cleaned and the boys tended the outside and chickens.
Where I came from records were still sold as new and not vintage.
Where I came from everyone owned a record player.
Where I came from the president speaking ruined your night.
Where I came from the Muppet Show was on every Sunday night.
Where I came from we LIVED for Saturday cartoons and the cyote NEVER caught the road runner.
Where I came from Jerry Lewis, Marilyn Monroe, Shirley Temple and Elvis were on TV after chores on Saturday.
Where I came from Madonna shocked people and Elvis was dead.
Where I came from George Michael was fiiiine not GAY!
Where I came from Auqua Net was the best thing for big hair and also served as a flame thrower at a concert.
Where I came from purple, blue and green eyeshadow could be worn at the same time in a zig-zag pattern on your eyelids.
Where I came from everyone, boys and girls alike, had spiral perms and mullets.
Where I came from no one knew about hunting or fishing.
Where I came from homes nearly touched.
Where I came from the Sunday funnies were entertainment for an hour even though we rarely got the "funny" part of it.
Where I came from no one waxed or plucked their eyebrows. (We were quite bushy!)
Where I came from Reebok hightops...in black...were "all the rage" and Gitano slouch socks had to be worn two pairs at a time, in two colors. (Green pair on top of blue pair)
Where I came from splatter paint s
weatshirts were worn with leggins that had an elastic band that went under the heel.
Where I came from hair had wings.


Where I came from life was what it was and I didn't know it could be better or worse.

I would love to see what my daughters would write ten years or twenty years from now. As you can tell, I grew up in a city environment....not small town or country like my girlies. Still, I have good memories and so will my baby girls. I just hope they stay away from the dumpsters. Which is where my brothers found their first dirty mag! HA! That is funny, but in a "eew gross" kinda way. hee hee

Toodles!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

In the words of "Gus Portacallus"...."you lookin' old"

Blog Archive